Sunday, January 24, 2010

Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010


It has been years since I watched the series and I forgot so much that I am not sure that I qualify to tell you what they left out but they have left out a lot. Personally I always got sick of Shinji and his whining so I am certain some of that is left out. What this seems to be is a condensed version of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Series.

This is part one and it quickly takes you through the first six episodes of the series. The animation is sharper and more pleasing to the eye. They also added some things that were not in the original series that seemed to explain some of the mysteries that I never fully understood. Most of it was exactly like the original series. I don't think you need to see the series to watch this movie but I do recommend it as a must see for all anime fans.

I will attempt to summarize it without giving much away. This takes place in a time where the earth has nearly been destroyed by creatures they call Angels and they have built a city where they can hide (buildings and all) underground. Shinji Ikari's father sends for him to pilot an Eva, the only thing that can defeat and Angel. Shinji's father Gendo heads up the project at NERVE and needs his son to take over for Rei the injured female pilot. Shinji has a lot of issues stemming for being abandoned by his father and then called on to fight to save the world.

You get a lot of action in this and less of the interpersonal conflict. You still know that Rei has an unreal reaspect for Gendo and that Shinji hates his father and doesn't really like himself but it is not the focal point. I really enjoyed watching and I can't wait for part two. It was nice to be able to sit down and watch an overview with extras added. When I watched the original I had to wait like a month in between DVD's. I probably should sit down and watch the series again to get a more coherent picture.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations