Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Writing Is My Dream

>> Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I always wanted to see what Castle was about but I don't have cable or some fancy dish so I never tuned in. I do have Netflix and finally remembered to put it on my list.  Most nights my hubby and I watch an episode of something we get from Netflix before he goes to work and I go to bed. I know it is kind of a lame date but we enjoy it and we get to cuddle up next to each other most every night watching some exciting show.

I really enjoyed the show and so did my hubby who watched another episode with me this morning before he went to bed and I started my day. The thing is it really got to me because I have always wanted to be a writer. I went to school to be a social worker. Why? Because I chose a profession from the list of needed professionals for the area I got help paying for some of my college education. Once I started the program there were many things I liked and I stuck with it until graduation. I still want to work in the field I am going to a grant writing seminar this month to expand my writing and social work knowledge base.

I also want to start working on a short story or maybe get so crazy as to try my hand at novel writing. I am not looking to have a novel out next year but I am looking to set up small goals and keep them. I am going to have to spend some time at the library and work on learning how to write fiction. I have had a few college courses but I could use a lot more instruction. If I want to write I need to learn more and write more. I am always very critical of the fiction I write so I never get very far. So for this month I am going to set some times for just writing. I am going to type as many ideas as I can think of into one chaotic document and then review it in April. Then I can see if i have anything I feel like I can work with.

Lessons learned from Castle this week are everything is a story.  My first writing exercise will be to create a fictional story based on something I picked up with my interactions with people or my lack of interaction as I am home most of the time.

Writing goals for March

  • Find a story in my daily life
  • Write any and all ideas with no editing
  • Schedule time for writing
  • Go to the library and get books about fiction, grant, and article writing
  • Go to grant workshop
  • Brush up on punctuation and other grammar basics

4 comments:

  • Jen Whitten
     

    I love Castle! :D

    I'm glad you're finally going to start working towards your dream. Good for you.

  • allotments4you
     

    I have never hear of Castle!!

    I think it is great that you are going to pursue your first love...maybe as an avid follower of your blog I will get some sneak previews???

    Looking forward to finding out how it's going....good luck with your targets!!

  • Christy
     

    I think these are very good goals to have. I hope you are able to fulfill your writing dreams. And thanks for telling us about Castle!

  • Gargantua
     

    I absolutely LOVE Castle. If I am completely honest, I love just about anything that features Nathan Fillion. I am so glad to meet another convert!

    I wish you luck with your writing goals. I know myself how hard it is to stick with it. I look forward to hearing about your progress. *Salute*

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations