Friday, November 6, 2009

From Dead To Worse by Charlaine Harris

>> Friday, November 6, 2009


I missed reading dark novels for fun so much I spent all day yesterday reading. It was chilly outside so I sat in my heated recliner most of the day enjoying the 8th Southern Vampire Mystery or what is now called the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I was not disappointed the time kept slipping away and before I knew it I had read for over 8 hours. I had some distractions and appointments but overall I was just captivated by the book and couldn't put it down.

Warning this review will contain spoilers for those of you who have not read the previous 7 books, I will try not to give away too much of this book but look for my other Charlaine Harris Reviews.

This book was never boring and considering it had been a long while since I had read the last one I was a little worried I may have forgotten too much. Harris does a nice job of helping you remember with small clues added throughout the book. It was nice because in some books they spend a great deal of their words rehashing everything that happened in the last books and I find that boring.

In this book Sookie is having a little trouble coming to terms with some of the major changes she is experiencing in her character. She is loosing sensitivity for the loss of life, especially those who are trying to kill her. She realizes that she is becoming a different person and that she is stuck in a world unknown to humans and can't live a normal life.

As usual Sookie is in danger almost all the way through this book. This was another book with a lot of small plots that didn't tie together for an over all theme. This book never made them seem like they should it was just another strange week in the life of Sookie Stackhouse. She had to intervene in a werewolf war, vampire take over, her crazy brothers marriage and a few other supernatural affairs.

This book was more about Sookie and her relationships.Quin was missing for more than half the book so she had a lot of time to think about things. She started to realize she wanted a man who could protect her and who put her first. I think I enjoyed this book so much because Sookie did a lot of self evaluation in this book. You saw more of her relationships with Amelia her roommate and with Sam her boss. You saw how truly loathsome her brother is. You get a back stage pass as Sookie decides who her friends and family are and who they are not. On top of that you get to see a lion bite off the head of a crazy werewolf and a vampire mowed down with a car and decapitated.

If you didn't get enough drama with that you also get to meet a distant relative of Sookie's who explains her fairy blood. Claudine and her brother show up a few times too. All of Eric's memory return resulting in him acting differently around Sookie and she kind of likes it. Sam is super affectionate toward Sookie and Bill is still trying to win Sookie back.

I am usually big on Eric for Sookie but in this book I was so pretty sure I wanted them all to win except Quin but I have never cared for his character. I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars it was a great book but some people will have issues with there not being a great big plot with twists and turns up until the very end.

2 comments:

  • Anonymous
     

    I love the susie stackhouse books but have only read the first 4 so stopped reading your post at the mention of spoilers..I have had so much to read latley i haven't got around to finding these..thanks for helping me remember!!!

  • Anonymous
     

    I love Charlaine Harris. I swear I have read the Southern Vampire Series at least a hundred times. My favorite is book 4 when Eric has amnesia. I think Eric is right for Sookie, and I don't think True Blood could have picked a better actor for the role. Great post!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations