Thursday, May 14, 2009

Should I Go Back To School?

>> Thursday, May 14, 2009



Well this week I have been thinking that I might either go back and get my Masters in English or a second Bachelors degree in English.

I finished my first Bachelors degree in the low paying, no way to work from home field of Social Work. I have found it is not for me and the only way to make decent money in the field is to move, or get a Masters.

I have signed up with a college that offers a few non-credit online classes cheap. This will help me remember what school is like and help me decide what I want to do. Several colleges offer English programs online, but if I want my masters I would go back to the University I graduated from because it would be easier to figure out what courses I needed.

With an English degree I will be able to teach, write for a paper or magazine, or land some freelance jobs. I could actually get a better social work position as well. I just don't know that I want to study again.

Update
I called and then checked the prices for a masters program at the University of Toledo where I graduated. It will be 1500 dollars per class. I can't afford that it is around 1000 per class or less for a 2nd Bachelors degree.

10 comments:

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I'd go for a masters. It will let you teach at the college level (SOOO much easier than teaching at high school), and will take less time. Plus, given your capacity to read a LOT, and your high level of brain activity, a masters degree will suit you better (I think).

  • Live, Love, Laugh, Write!
     

    Sounds like a lot on your mind. I think it sounds like going for a Masters could be really good for you if your willing to do the work though!

  • sundcarrie
     

    Thanks I may have to talk with a counselor at the University and see what transfers and what it will cost.

  • Phyl
     

    I'd suggest trying as many paid, full-credit online courses as they might offer, that could apply to the program you want. I know it's a lot slower than you'd like, but even if you're just taking one course at a time you're still making progress. And if your circumstances change and it becomes more affordable for you to go full-time later on, you'll be ahead in your requirements, rather than starting from scratch at that point.

    That's how I got my Editing certificate: one evening course at a time.

    Whatever you can take right now, in the current circumstances, it can only help you in the future, I suspect.

  • flit
     

    Any opportunities for funding/scholarships for a Masters? I gather from my readings on the grad cafe forum that it is not as automatic as it is here in Canada...but still might be worth checking into.

  • Linda Nguyen
     

    I don't know much so my comment won't be of much help to you, but I wish you good luck! =)

  • edison
     

    I suggest that you should go back to school. It is so much different when you have a degree. I have a question and I hope you don't mind. Are you an anti-Christ?or you were just love black?
    http://beyondcrypticness.blogspot.com/

  • Desert Rose
     

    I would go with the Masters degree, and good luck with whatever choice you make :)

  • sundcarrie
     

    ck leick what a weird question but I will bite. I am a Christian and I love black.

  • Unknown
     

    I just wanted to say Congrats on going back and getting your Master's degree and I wish you all the luck in obtaining it. :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations