Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Writing For Money and Cutting The Budget

>> Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Today I bought The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less. I am going to learn to write well and I am going to make a living doing so.

I have made every excuse in the book not to live my dream. I continually feed myself one lie after another to save myself from my own fears. I am going to be truly honest and say I am afraid of failure and rejection. Knowing that a writer is rejected often scares the hell out of me.

I should get this book by Friday and I have blocked out a lot of time next week for reading and writing. I know this will take some time and I can't just quit my job and hope to make up the income in a few weeks. I know nothing about writing styles other than MLA. In college I could write and A quality research paper in a matter of hours but I am clueless when it comes to article writing. I have a lot to learn before I dive into writing articles for money. I have a lot of fears to face on this journey but I am not going to give up this time.

I am going to find places to cut my budget so I can continue to set aside a lot of time for writing. I am starting with the money I spend blogging. I know it is not much but I have been spending about 25-30 dollars a month on ads and other things to increase my traffic. This will be enough of a savings to buy a few books to get me started. I have no funds for blog advertisements right now so my traffic will likely fall. If you love my blog please support me by adding links to your site or just letting others know about my blog.

6 comments:

  • allotments4you
     

    I love your blog and I fully support you..I wish you all the luck in the world with your new project and I will continue to stop by and read what you are writing for us. I don't advertise myself as I too didn't want to spend money out on my blog. You are on my blog roll so every time you write a post there is a direct link to your blog from any page on my blog. I don't know If I drive any traffic your way but I hope you gain something form it!!

  • allotments4you
     

    Oh and did you maker your decision in the Kindle??

  • Unknown
     

    Thanks so much for all of your support. I am not sure about the Kindle. I just let my job know that I would be looking for new employment so they could start looking for a replacement so I think I will hold off until I have another paying job.

  • Jen Whitten
     

    That's a good book, too. I forgot about it and the Renegade Writer when I was trying to name resources before.

    For blog traffic how-to's - which I still struggle with, too - you might try:

    ProBlogger (Darren Rowse)
    Blog Tyrant
    2 Hour Blogger

  • Unknown
     

    Thanks Jen! I am holding off on buying too many books until I decide if I want to buy the Kindle.

    I am starting to think the Kindle might save me money in the long run. I see a lot of the non-fiction books are quite a bit cheaper for the Kindle.

  • John | English Wilderness
     

    Good luck Carrie. I hope it works out.

    Maybe one day I'll have the faith to follow in your footsteps :-)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations