Thursday, March 3, 2011

Writing Exercise Gone Wild

>> Thursday, March 3, 2011

I have been reading Gotham Writers Workshop: Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide From New York's Acclaimed Writing School and working through the exercises along the way. It seems to be a great book thus far. I have had far too much fun with it leading me to believe it will be years before I finish reading it.

One of the writing exercises asked me to list some ordinary things that happened to me this week and then choose one to write about. My mind works in mysterious ways and I ended up starting with one and ending with another.

Walking my dog turned into a story of adventure in the melting snow and ice from Asuka's point of view. There are two things she loves snow and water and I thought I could make a fun lighthearted story from that. I found thinking like a dog to be challenging and let my mind wonder. I picked another item from my list and couldn't type the story that came to mind fast enough. I don't know exactly how my mind went from two conversations with people who had been unjustly fired to a hold up in a gas station but it did. I had the ending in mind when the rest of the story just started to flow.

I had to force myself to stop or I would have had hours tied up in this simple exercise. The story was about a young woman who worked at a gas station and walked in for her shift to a man holding up the store. She is the narrator as she tells you about her day from hell.

All I can say is it was a lot of fun. I don't know if I will ever be a professional writer but I am having fun learning how to write. If I work hard and fail at least I can say I gave it my best shot. If I never try I will regret it.

I plan to revisit the first book in the Kate Daniels series and analyze each chapter in the months ahead. I want to know what it is that makes me love these books more than most. I will keep you updated!

P.S.
I couldn't find a movie picture of someone holding up a store and it was frustrating me. With all the robberies on television shows and in movies I thought for sure it would be easy. I changed my mind and went with the big guns of Victoria and Alucard from Hellsing.

4 comments:

  • SunTiger
     

    I can't wait to read your update about Kate Daniels and what it is about her writing that inspires you. When I consider the possibility of writing from a dog's perspective, my mind instantly goes to below knee-level and I ask myself: "What do I see?" From there on it's all butt-sniffing and chasing after things (when I'm not catching a nap in the most comfortable spot I can find).

    So cool that you're working through the workbook and that you're finding pleasure in writing. To me, the best product comes from LOVING your work. More power to you!

  • sundcarrie
     

    Thanks Tami!

  • allotments4you
     

    Sounds like you are getting into your stride..I would love to read the story that you wrote...do you think you will publish it on here for us??

  • Unknown
     

    I might post something one of these days but right now I have a partial story that I tried to wrap up quickly because of time.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations