Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Audio Books

>> Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What do you think about audio books. I found a lot of the classics I have to read for school in audio format for free through my iPod. I also got a few of the books I would love to read really cheap downloaded in audio format.

I was going to multitask and listen while on the treadmill or while cleaning. I don't know if I can do it without my mind wandering. I don't plan to buy anymore until I am sure I will be able to concentrate on the books I have. The free ones are no big deal I only wish I would have tried them before I got the bright idea to buy some just because they were cheap.

I don't ever plan to replace my reading time with audio books but to get a few extra books in while I have less reading time would be great. I have put off my reading time lately and I just thought that would be a great way to get more books into my schedule. Of course I have nearly two months before I start school to read. Then things will get busy again, I may only go to school 2 days a week but with five senior level courses I am guessing that I will have a lot of homework.

I am hoping to get some of the reading done over my long vacation.

8 comments:

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    The only time I've ever been able to listen to books is when I'm driving (although I haven't tried the treadmill, and that might work too)... if I'm doing stuff around the house, my mind wanders terribly, and I can't keep track of stuff. I also don't remember details of it the way I would if I'd read it (I'm a visual learner), but it can be a good way to get in fun reading. I'll be commuting quite a bit in the fall, and I intend to check out a bunch of stuff from the library for that very reason.

    Audio books have enabled me to read a few books I couldn't get through otherwise, even after several attempts (A Tale of Two Cities is one example)... so they might be a good thing to try... I'd love to know what you think, once you've read a few of them.

  • flit
     

    I found them very useful while driving - I listened to Aristotle's Poetics repeatedly when I was studying it in Sudbury - a 2.5 hour commute

  • ryan
     

    As a commuter, audio books are a lifesaver. The last one I had the pleasure of listening to was Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Brilliant.

  • Joyuna
     

    I love audiobooks! I'm an avid reader, but I'm a knitter too and by using audiobooks, I can do both at once! Which is a lot more productive than watching TV, let me tell you. Some people look down on people who listen to audiobooks but it's not like I do it because I _can't_ read - I love reading! I get most of my audiobooks for free from Librivox.org, which is a great site - I've now "read" many classics I'd never have gotten to otherwise.

  • Live, Love, Laugh, Write!
     

    My mind wanders listening to audio books - but I've never tried listening while crafting...hmm...

  • Linda Nguyen
     

    Hi Carrie,

    I don't own an audiobook, but I've recently won one through a giveaway. I think it's just another way to take in a story while cleaning up the living space -- or if the car permits -- to follow a story in the car. I'm not doing as much reading now since I have class, yet I'm still posting up reviews from other reads since I've only joined the blogging phenomenon recently.

    I'll tell you how my audiobook experience goes in my blog. =)

  • Vera
     

    Have you given them a try? I tried it once but I could not concentrate on doing anything else. It's like if I wanted to listen, i can't do anything else. Let me know how it goes for you!

  • Mara
     

    Audiobooks are convenient. I have a couple of audiobooks in my iPod too. I listen to them though while I'm doing nothing (i.e lying in bed, waiting for the doctor/dentist, commuting, etc) cos that's the only time my mid can wander around.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations