Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Definitely Dead Review

>> Wednesday, June 3, 2009


Definitely Dead is the sixth book in the Southern Vampire Series by Charliane Harris. I have to say it is also my least favorite book of the seven I have read so far. It starts off a little confusing because there is a short story published in another book that I have yet to read. It ties the end of the last book and the beginning of this book together, but that is a secret to readers. That is not all the book seemed poorly organized and filled with material that probably will set up future events.


Sookie travels to new Orleans to collect her dead cousin Hadley’s possessions and also spends some time working for the queen. Hadley’s death and the queens work are mysteriously tied together. The queen is set to marry a King from another state and pool their assets. Things take a deadly turn for he queen and her people and she employs Sookie to help her find what is lost before things get ugly.


Early on you find out that Hadley had become a vampire, in fact she was a favorite of the Queen. Nothing is ever cut and dry in these novels though so shortly after Sookie arrives at her cousins apartment things get crazy.


The landlord is a witch who put a spell on the apartment to keep it smelling fresh, but once it has lifted they find a dead….well sort of dead man in the closet. This discovery launches the investigation into the real events surrounding Hadley’s death.


This book was really good just not what I had come to expect from this series. There were a few boring chapters, but the last half of the book made up for the first half. If you want to see flying vampire heads, witches casting spells, and of course Eric, Bill and Quinn, you won’t want to miss this book.


I am giving this book a 3.5 out of five stars, largely because I am still upset that there was no way I could know about the short story. Also because Harris is a very talented writer and this was not her greatest work.

2 comments:

  • Linda Nguyen
     

    Hi Carrie.

    I have been tagged for What's On Your Desk Wednesday. I've followed along and I have to tag at least 5 readers. Does it bother you that I've chosen you?

    Here are the details:

    http://bambireads.blogspot.com/2009/06/whats-on-your-desk-wednesday-is-weekly.html

    It's a weekly thing so I'd say you have until next Wednesday. If it bothers you, just pass it forward. Otherwise, I hope you'll enjoy it.

    I've read your blog entry about acid reducers. I had no idea. =(

    Have a nice day. =)

  • Linda Nguyen
     

    I think the title for the meme is misleading as your books (such as your TBR) can be anywhere in the house. You can still participate, but it's up to you. I'm glad you've visited.

    After those posts about acid reducers, I'm starting to worry. Take care of yourself!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations