Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Book Review -- The Denver Cereal by Claudia Hall Christian

>> Tuesday, April 21, 2009


The Denver Cereal

By Claudia Hall Christian

A few weeks ago I made an offer to read and review books as long as I was sent a hard copy and it was similar to what I review. The Denver Cereal was the first book I received. I was a bit skeptical because the description was short and it didn’t seem to be anything like what I normally read. I was more than pleasantly surprised I was amazed at the feelings I developed for the characters in such a short time.


This book starts with Jill attending the engagement party of her ex-husband. It quickly turns into a story of fated love and a family with unbreakable bonds. Jill meets Jacob at the engagement party and begins to spend some time with him. As Jill discovers what other men are like and reconnects with her family and friends she begins to realize how truly unhappy she was in her marriage.


Jill also sees how unhappy her daughter was always trying to please her father, Trevor. Jill always thought Trevor was her soul mate, and she worked hard to support her family and put him through school. Jill was very devoted to him even though she knew things were not always as they seemed.


The plot is full of surprises and interesting twists. There is even a little of the paranormal that is right up my alley. I was immediately mesmerized by the depth that Christian brings to her characters. I felt like giving Jill a big hug more than once and I could almost feel her pain in the midst of her new found joy. I love a story with so many conflicting emotions.


As the book moves on several other relationships are explored and you quickly fall in love with these characters as well. I don’t know how she does it but she really brings life to each of these characters. A life that you long to be a part of, that you just can’t get enough of.


There is not a boring minute in this book, I loved every minute of it. If I didn’t have 18 other books to read and 4 more to review I would be on the Internet catching up on the remaining chapters.


The book is written a chapter a week and published at
The Denver Cereal Website
as serial fiction. I prefer a hard copy because it is easier on my eyes. Because it is serial fiction the editing is loose and I noticed some mistakes. There were a few wrong words and a perspective shift out of place.


I have to give this book 4.5 our of 5 stars, it was excellent. I am rarely so drawn in by the characters.

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations