Saturday, April 25, 2009

Book Review -- Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

>> Saturday, April 25, 2009


This dark novel is the third installment in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I was bored to tears by New Moon so I wasn’t expecting much from Eclipse. I was pleasantly surprised that Eclipse was almost as hard to put down as Twilight.


Bella is graduating from high school and is determined to become a vampire. Her plans have come to a screeching halt, with serial killings in Seattle that have vampire written all over the crime scene. Also there are vampires literally out for Bella’s blood.


If that is not enough the tension between Edward, Jacob and Bella makes for a lot of interesting moments. It is no secret by now that I like Jacob better than I liked Edward, but they both had great moments in this book. They learned that sometimes they had to put aside there egos and work together.


Vampires and werewolves are sworn enemies and tend to hate each other. The Cullen’s have a common enemy with the werewolves now and they have to make a temporary pact. This makes for a lot of fun, intense interactions.


One of the things I really liked about this book was it challenged my imagination. Meyer’s really creates just enough of a picture of each scene that you have to let your imagination finish it. She does this with her characters as well. What she does develop fully is the personalities of each character and you even feel like the town of Forks has its own personality.


I loved this book so it gets five stars out of five. I really didn’t find anything that would be offensive in this book. Seriously it is worth the read, the only bad part is you have to read New Moon first.

7 comments:

  • Phyl
     

    It's interesting that the quality can vary so much from book to book. I suppose, as the books were published, readers were willing to keep going because they had liked Twilight so much. And then the series just took off.

    I'm enjoying your reviews! I haven't read these books, but they're such a phenomenon that I'm really interested in how they're affecting a new generation.

  • Kimberly
     

    I completely agree with your assessment. I thought new moon was a ridiculous bunch of drivel. I don't want to claim that I think Ms. Meyer is in any way contributing to the literary legacy of America, but what she lacks in writing skills she more than makes up with her ability to TELL A STORY. I found myself unintentionally hooked by twighlight when my daughter fell in love with it, and I was led by the lip all the way through the end of the series. Eclipse was where the series started to finally pick up. Breaking Dawn was actually quite good - and I look forward to your review of it!

    Thanks for your post.

  • In Plain English
     

    I'm reading this one right now!!! Shhhh....Don't tell me what happens. ;)

  • melissa
     

    Funny, I don't like Edward much either, although he is quite the popular guy. I'd rather a warm blooded animal any day over a stone cold, corpse like vampire!

  • Liggy B
     

    I enjoyed the way Eclipse branched away from the teeny bopper kind of way Twilight evolved. When it all began, Bella and Edward seemed kind of out of place in Forks. In this book, however, you really get to know the other characters better and where they came from...everything really falls into place much better in this book, I think!

  • coach outlet stores
     

    This is what I like

  • oimdiane
     

    Coming in very late on commenting only because I have not read any of the books, but "accidentally" got the chance to watch the first two movies on Showtime (DirecTV had it for free the other weekend).

    So thank you for the heads up on this one - won't bother with the books (since I also read your Breaking Dawn review), but I will keep my eyes open for the chance to watch the next two movies.

    Lots of people panned the books (the reviews I've read) and a few the movies. But if I can watch them for nothing, hey I'm game :)

    Also thanks a bunch for putting the search onto your blog, along with the labels. It made finding this review so much easier!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Networked Blogs

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations